According to the hadith of the prophet (Sallellahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) (see below), Surah Al-Fatihah is the greatest Surah in the Quran. This Surah has many benefits as was mentioned to us by the prophet (Sallellahu Alaihi Wa Sallam). “IT CAN BE USED TO WARD OFF EVIL AND AS A GENERAL HEALING.”
The reference to this Surah is also made in other parts of the Quran. Consider the following verse of Surah Al-Hijr:
“And indeed, We have bestowed upon you seven of Al-Mathani (the seven repeatedly recited Verses), (i.e. Surat Al-Fatiha) and the Grand Quran.” [Quran: Surah Al-Hijr (87)]
Narrated Abu Sa‘îd bin Al-Mu‘alla: While I was praying in the mosque, Allah’s Messenger called me but I did not respond to him. Later I said, “O Allah’s Messenger, I was praying.” He said, “Didn’t Allah say – Answer Allah (by obeying Him) and His Messenger when he calls you.” (V.8:24). He then said to me, “I will teach you a Surah which is the greatest Surah in the Quran, before you leave the mosque.” Then he got hold of my hand, and when he intended to leave (the mosque), I said to him, “Didn’t you say to me, “I will teach you a Surah which is the greatest Surah in the Quran?” He said: “Al-Hamdu lillahi Rabbil-‘âlamîn [i.e. all the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the ‘Âlamîn (mankind, jinn and all that exists)], Sûrat Al-Fâtihah which is As-Sab‘ Al-Mathâni (i.e. the seven repeatedly recited Verses) and the Grand Quran which has been given to me.” [Sahih Al-Bukhâri, Vol.6, Hadith No. 1].
Surah Al-Fatihah is the first chapter of the Quran and must be recited in every prayer:
Narrated ‘Ubâdah bin As-Sâmit Allâh’s Messenger said: “Whoever does not recite Sûrat Al-Fâtihah in his prayer, his prayer is invalid.” [Sahih Al-Bukhâri, Vol.1, Hadîth No. 723]
The Surah appears below in its entirety:
1. In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
2. All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the Alameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
3. The Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
4. The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)
5. You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything).
6. Guide us to the Straight Way
7. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray. (AAMEEN) [Quran, Surah Al-Fatihah]